How to Transfer WIC Benefits to Another State

WIC transfers give you the opportunity to move to another state and keep your benefits. You just need to follow specific guidelines, and some states may have slightly different requirements. For instance, before you move to another state, you need to let your local office know that you are leaving. An agent will be able to provide you with important documentation, such as a WIC transfer form, and instructions on how to complete a transfer.

When you transfer your benefits to another state, you need to have specific documents with you. For instance, you need to have proof of your identity. An agent cannot complete a transfer of benefits without proper identification. Also, if you move to a different county within the state you live in, you still may be required to change locations if there is another WIC facility nearby. The sections below will provide you with information on how to transfer WIC to another state.

Do I need to tell my local office that I am moving to complete a WIC transfer?

Learning how to transfer WIC from state to state or within the state is an important task you must complete to ensure that you maintain your benefits. To transfer cash benefits issued by the WIC program, you need to inform your local WIC office. When applicable, the facility will provide you with a WIC transfer form, WIC identification transfer card or Verification of Certification (VOC), depending on the state you live in.

The transfer credentials you obtain provide other facilities with important information pertaining to you and your family. For example, the transfer identification you obtain will have information on the date you began receiving WIC benefits and your WIC identification number.

Your WIC transfer form, card or VOC will let WIC facilities know that you are currently collecting WIC assistance from another state. In addition, the documentation will have information on you and your household’s history with the program, which will allow you to receive the benefits of the program.

When can I visit a new facility to transfer WIC to another state?

Now that you have your WIC transfer documentation, you need to contact the WIC office to the state or area you are moving to. Many states have multiple facilities, so it is important to locate the correct one.

When you get a hold of a representative, let him or her know that you want to transfer your benefits from another state. Make sure that you schedule an appointment to visit the facility. The majority of offices require you to have an appointment, or you will not be able to complete a WIC money transfer to your new location.

What items are required in order to transfer my WIC benefits?

To complete WIC benefit transfer on the day of your appointment, you need to have specific items with you. You need to have your transfer form, WIC transfer card or VOC. Without transfer identification, it will be difficult to for an agent to transfer your benefits. In addition, you are going to need proof of your identification, such as a passport or driver’s license.

Your credentials allow the agent to confirm that you want to continue with the transfer process. Providing identification helps to prevent fraudulent benefit claims. For details on the types of identification that facilities look for in order to complete a WIC transfer, download our informative guide.

What if I do not have a WIC transfer form, card or VOC?

If you do not have a transfer form, WIC identification card or VOC, the facility will complete the WIC transfer at a slower pace. The office will have to call the facility you last received benefits from in order to gather information about your history in the program. Also, it is not guaranteed your previous office can provide the information the agent assisting you needs to complete the WIC transfer at that moment. You will likely need to wait a few hours or days in order for the agency to gather the information it needs to transfer your WIC benefits.

What if the office cannot determine my qualifications for a WIC transfer?

If you have proper WIC transfer documentation, but the agency cannot determine your eligibility, you need to make a certification appointment. The appointment will allow the facility to review details about you and your family in order to determine your eligibility.

What happens after the office verifies my qualifications for a WIC transfer?

Once the office has all the necessary information to determine that you meet eligibility requirements, the facility will complete the final steps of the WIC money transfer. The office will review your rights and responsibilities when collecting WIC benefits. The clinic will provide you with helpful benefit information. For example, since you are unfamiliar with the stores in the city you just moved in, your facility may provide a list of WIC-approved vendors.

You may be able to use your current WIC card or voucher to begin purchasing the necessities you and your family needs. Some offices may issue replacements, so be sure to verify if your card is valid or not.

Is a WIC transfer required if I am moving to another city?

If you are moving to another city and there is a different WIC facility designated for you to collect benefits from, you will need to complete a WIC money transfer. The procedure for in-state transfers is similar to the process for out of state transfers. For instance, you need to inform your current facility that you are moving. Your local facility will help you with the WIC transfer, as an agent can provide you with WIC documentation and information about the facility you are transferring to.

Also, when you visit your new facility, you will need to provide the office with details about you and your family, such as your new home address. For details on how to complete a WIC transfer to a new location, download our free guide today.